IT Services Green Initiatives
IT Services is committed to reducing the impact that technology at Miami has on the environment. Initiatives already implemented are:
- Aggressive server virtualization has reduced energy consumption in the Hoyt data center. An historical chart of power consumption is available. (Updated monthly)
- Decommissioned server hardware is either repurposed within Miami, sold, or recycled. A working document showing recently decommissioned hardware is available. (Updated monthly)
- Institutional desktop and notebook computers are disposed of in an environmentally friendly way by recycling them through a reputable broker.
- The bigPrint initiative is reducing the number of printers on campus and is introducing newer technology devices that consume less energy. In addition, two-sided printing and recycling laser printer toner cartridges means less waste.
- Information on reducing the power consumption of PCs is published on the IT Help and Miami "This Makes Cents" websites.