Warning: include() [function.include]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/net/muawfpsp07/vol5/SAF/SAF/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/wrap/wrap_top.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/net/saf/Public.WWW) in /net/saf/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/livingatmiami/gtrhl.php on line 16

Warning: include(/net/muawfpsp07/vol5/SAF/SAF/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/wrap/wrap_top.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /net/saf/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/livingatmiami/gtrhl.php on line 16

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/net/muawfpsp07/vol5/SAF/SAF/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/wrap/wrap_top.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/var/www/html/miami/template/mutemplate:/usr/share/pear') in /net/saf/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/livingatmiami/gtrhl.php on line 16

Warning: include() [function.include]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/net/muawfpsp07/vol5/SAF/SAF/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/wrap/wrap_middle.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/net/saf/Public.WWW) in /net/saf/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/livingatmiami/gtrhl.php on line 43

Warning: include(/net/muawfpsp07/vol5/SAF/SAF/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/wrap/wrap_middle.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /net/saf/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/livingatmiami/gtrhl.php on line 43

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/net/muawfpsp07/vol5/SAF/SAF/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/wrap/wrap_middle.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/var/www/html/miami/template/mutemplate:/usr/share/pear') in /net/saf/Public.WWW/reslife/reslife/livingatmiami/gtrhl.php on line 43


Topic Index:


Guide to Residence Hall Living Contents

Residence Halls
Residence Hall Staff
Residence Hall Programs and Activities
Hall Facilities and University Services
Residence Hall Rooms
Roommate Bill of Rights
Student Conduct Regulations
Housing Assignments
Food Service
Residence Hall Contract
Break Housing


Residence Halls
Residence Hall Address Zip
Anderson 701 S. Oak St. 45056-3436
Bishop 300 E. Spring St. 45056-3507
Brandon 385 Tallawanda St. 45056-1481
Clawson 440 Western College Dr. 45056-1978
Collins 31 N. Fisher Dr. 45056-1460
Dennison 21 N. Fisher Dr. 45056-1459
Dodds 600 S. Maple Ave. 45056-3428 
Dorsey 900 E. High Street 45056-1466
Elliott 101 Irvin Dr. 45056-1853
Emerson 699 S. Maple Ave. 45056-3449
Flower 5347 Bonham Rd.  45056-3633 
Hahne 5357 Bonham Rd.  45056-3632
Hamilton 401 S. Oak St. 45056-3444
Havighurst 350 Western College Dr. 45056-1976
Hepburn 355 Tallawanda St. 45056-1480
Maplestreet Station    
MacCracken 500 Center Dr. 45056-3445
Mary Lyon 500 Western College Dr. 45056-1979
McBride 11 N. Fisher Dr. 45056-1457
McFarland 325 Tallawanda St. 45056-3638
McKee 600 Western College Dr. 45056-1980
Minnich 400 S. Maple Ave. 45056-3451
Morris 651 S. Maple Ave. 45056-3447
Ogden 401 E. High St.  45056-1867
Peabody 701 Western College Dr. 45056-1981
Porter 601 S. Oak St.  45056-3446
Richard 501 S. Oak St.  45056-2483
Scott 500 S. Maple Ave. 45056-2482
Stanton 700 S. Maple Ave. 45056-3448
Stoddard 201 Irvin Dr.  45056-1854
Swing 105 Tallawanda St. 45056-3639
Symmes 500 N. Fisher Dr. 45056-1461
Tappan 650 S. Patterson Ave.  45056-3429
Thomson 425 Western College Dr. 45056-1977
Wells 301 E. Spring St. 45056-3506
Wislon 21 S. Fisher Dr. 45056-1458
Heritage Commons
(apartment style housing for upper class students)

Blanchard House - 805 S. Campus Ave.
Fisher Hall - 805 S. Oak St.
Logan Lodge - 800 S. Campus Ave.
Pines Lodge - 803 S. Campus Ave.
Reid Hall - 806 S. Oak St.
Talawanda Hall - 804 S. Oak St.



Back to Menu


Residence Hall Staff
Staff members from the Office of Residence Life and the Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services work in the residence halls. Their responsibilities are complementary and important to each resident's happiness and success in college residential living.

Residence Life Graduate and Professional Staff
Resident Director/First Year Advisers are full time, master's level, professional staff who live in first year and mixed residence halls. They are responsible for coordinating the living learning community(s) within their residence hall and supervising the staff of the residence hall. They have special training in academic advising, working with college students in group living situations, and responding to student issues. Assistant Resident Director/First Year Advisers, Graduate Resident Director/First Year Advisers and Graduate Assistant for Living Learning Communities and Academic Advising are graduate students who also are trained to do academic advising for first year students. They are usually enrolled in the Student Affairs in Higher Education master's degree program at Miami University. In upper class residence halls, other graduate students called Resident Directors, serve as the head-of-hall. They, too, receive special training to direct their residence halls, but they do not have academic advising responsibilities. Resident Directors are also usually enrolled in the Student Affairs in Higher Education master's degree program at Miami University.

Undergraduate Staff
Resident Assistants (RAs) are carefully selected and trained upper class students who live on the corridors of each hall. These students work with the Resident Directors and the community leadership teams to plan educational, recreational, cultural, and social programs within the hall. RAs promote an environment in which each resident can learn and grow. They work to develop a friendly atmosphere, cooperation, mutual respect in the corridor, and an environment conducive to academic success. RAs provide students with information or refer them to appropriate resources, help with personal problems and concerns, and assist residents in other ways so that all benefit from the University and group living experience.

Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services
The Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services staff is responsible for providing and maintaining the physical state of each residence hall and keeping high standards of health and safety for the comfort of students. Each residence hall is assigned a staff member, called a Hall Manager, who oversees the physical state of his/her residence hall. The Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services operates the University's food service facilities. The managers and staff of each dining location work to offer a variety of balanced and high quality meals to students. Managers welcome comments and suggestions to improve customer satisfaction.

Back to Menu

Residence Hall Programs and Activities
Miami University's Office of Residence Life is committed to student learning and development. Our residence hall programming and staff provide opportunities for students to grow and realize their potential, not only intellectually, but also socially, emotionally, and physically. Students personal growth will come from relationships built and from participation in hall activities. 

Academic Programs
Hall programs stimulate and encourage academic interest and achievement, broaden knowledge, and emphasize learning as a vital component of daily living.

Academic Advising
All first-year students receive advising in the residence hall from their Resident Director/First Year Adviser, Assistant Resident Director/First Year Adviser, Graduate Assistant for Living Learning Communities and Academic Advising or Graduate Resident Director/First Year Adviser. Regardless of title, each of these individuals can help with selection of major, transition to college, referrals to campus resources, study skills, and course selection.  

Recreational Programs
Participating in sports and recreational programs is a great stress reliever as well as an opportunity to build strong friendships.

Community Leadership Team
Community Leadership Team implements social, educational, cultural, and recreational activities for the benefit of all residents. The success of a Community Leadership Team is dependent upon the initiative, sense of responsibility, and sustained interest of all students.  The CLTs have three main foci: Living Learning Community events, social and community development events, and advocacy within the community. CLT initiatives are funded by the residential activity fee which is a part of the students housing fee.

Social and Cultural Programs
Successful social and cultural programs depend on student leaders working with the hall staff.

Back to Menu

Hall Facilities and University Services
Miami provides a variety of services and facilities in residence halls, some of which are listed below.

Computer Network
Computer access is available in each student room, through Ethernet connections.  This allows fast connection time and access to the University network and the internet.  Every residence hall is equipped with wireless connections. Computer labs are available in several academic building centers across campus.

Because cooking is not permitted in student rooms, each hall has a small kitchenette for the use of all residents. Kitchenettes can be used for hall socials or individual snacks. Even though the use of small appliances is not permitted in student rooms, they may be used in the kitchenettes.  Residents of each hall are responsible for keeping the kitchenettes clean.

Laundry Facilities
Washers and dryers are available 24 hours a day in laundry rooms within each residence hall. After depositing funds in a MUlaa account, your University ID card may be used for accessing washers and dryers. Students can check the availibility of washers and dryers through Web Card Center.

Lost ID Card

  • Replacement ID cards may be obtained at the Office of Housing Options, Meals & Events (HOME) in Shriver Center, room 111. Regular operating hours are Monday through Friday from 8am - 5pm. Summer hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm. After hours replacement cards are available through the Marcum Conference Center when the HOME Office is closed.
  • During break periods (Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring) temporary access cards can be obtained from the front desk of The Marcum Hotel and Conference Center (351 N. Fisher Drive).
  • During the summer, temporary access cards can be obtained from the front desk of The Marcum Hotel and Conference Center (351 N. Fisher Drive) from 4:30pm – 7:30am, Monday – Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Replacement Card Fee
Lost replacement ID cards are issued for a $35.00 fee, damaged ID cards are issued for a $10.00 fee. The fee may be charged to your Bursar account. Replacement ID cards may be obtained at the Office of Housing Options, Meals & Events (HOME) in Shriver Center, room 111. Regular operating hours are Monday through Friday from 8am - 5pm. Summer hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm. After hours replacement cards are available through the Marcum Conference Center.

If a Miami ID Card is lost or stolen, it should be reported immediately to: www.muohio.edu/idcard or by calling (513)529-5678.


  1. Use your cell phone to enter your room. Once your phone is registered at WebCardCenter at www.muohio.edu/idcard, one text message will open your door! Simply text “open mydoor” to 67513. If you have a smartphone, you can find the “Open MyDoor” app at the above webpage.
  2. Use WebCardCenter to open your door. Use a neighbor's computer or smartphone to log in to WebCardCenter at www.muohio.edu/idcard. Use the “Open MyDoor” link to open your door. Once activated, you have 18 seconds to enter your room.
  3. If you have a roommate, contact that person to remotely open your door. If your roommate's cell phone is registered to do so, he/she can open your door from a remote location using WebCardCenter.
  4. Find a Resident Assistant or a member of the Residence Life Professional Staff. An RA is on duty every day from 7 pm until 7 am. At other times you still may find an RA around. RA phone numbers are posted in the lobby. Your ORL Professional Staff might be in their office. There will be a $7 charge to your Bursar Bill for ORL staff to let you into your room.
  5. Get a temporary ID card. On weekdays from 8am-5pm go to the ID Card Office in 111 Shriver. After these hours and on the weekends go to the Shriver Center and ask for the Manager at Spring Street Market. There will be a $15 charge on your Bursar Bill for a temporary ID. You will get a $5 refund if the temporary card is returned to 111 Shriver within 48 hours. Temporary ID cards only have building and room access. Temporary ID cards may not be used for dining, MyCard, etc.

Students are assigned a mailbox with a combination lock in their residence halls. Residence hall mailrooms are distribution centers and do not offer the services of a regular post office. Money orders and stamps are not available in the hall. There is a full-service post office in Wells Hall where students can pick up and send packages and special deliveries.

All mail should be addressed this way:
        Student name
        Room #, Hall name
        Box #
        Street address (see list above under Residence and Dining Halls)
        Oxford, OH 45056-xxxx (see 4-digit codes above under Residence and Dining Halls)
        Myrtle McMiami
        101 Minnich Hall
        Box 1
        400 S. Maple Ave.
        Oxford, OH 45056-3451

Compact refrigerators can be rented from the HOME Office, either through the Housing Contract, e-mailing a request to housingandmeals@muohio.edu or stopping in to 111 Shriver Center. Students are not permitted to bring their own refrigerators. Multiple students in a room share the cost to rent a refrigerator.

Refrigerators must be disconnected and perishable items removed during winter and spring breaks.  The University is not responsible for perishable items stored in any refrigerator, including loss caused by mechanical failure or electrical outages.

Security and Stolen Property
All outside residence hall doors are locked at all times for your safety. A student's University ID allows entry into his/her hall. Propping doors of any kind is strictly forbidden, and any unusual occurrence should be immediately reported to the hall staff or University Police at 9-2222 or 911. Students should not allow other people to follow them into the building unless they are 100% certain the other people are residents of the building.

To prevent thefts and damage, students should lock their doors when they are not in their room. If something is stolen, you should notify the Resident Director and University Police (9-2222) immediately. Although the University makes a reasonable effort to protect student property, it is not liable for loss, theft, or damage to property.


Students may participate in the summer storage program for on-campus students. This service provides an easy and reliable summer storage option. Students will be able to sign up via their MyCard account. Miami staff will pick up packed boxes during finals week as students leave for summer break and will deliver items to their new residence in the fall. Three sizes of storage boxes will be provided and included in the cost. For more information on summer storage go to www.muohio.edu/housing and click on "Residential Services."

Bicycles may be stored in residence hall rooms or outside the hall locked in the bike racks. Note: residence hall rooms are relatively small; storing bicycles in the room is subject to the agreement of all students assigned to the room. Bicycles may not be hung from the pipes or wall molding and may not be left in any public areas of residence halls, such as lobbies and hallways. Abandoned and illegally parked bikes are collected and sold at the University auction.

The following roofs with grading are structurally sound and available for sunbathing:

Hamilton Roof over kitchen
MacCracken Roof over computer lab
Richard Roof over sorority suites
Thomson Roof over center section
Wells Roof over Office of Campus Mail Service

Residents are not permitted on any other roof (including porches) because of potential injury or roof damage.

Telephones, Voice Mail and Long Distance

Students can request a telephone be installed in your residence hall room. 
The monthly cost is $18.00, which includes:

  • A Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone
  • Voice mail
  • Unlimited local calling
  • 60 minutes in long distance calling per month.

The monthly service and any long distance over 60 minutes will be billed on the student's Bursar account.

For more information click here, or contact:
Office of Telecommunications
Hughes Hall, (513) 529-3511

Trash Removal/Recycling
Students are expected to participate in the recycling program. Each hall has designated recycling areas. In addition, students are expected to remove personal trash from rooms and buildings and place in the nearest dumpster. Students who disregard trash and recycling procedures may face disciplinary action.

Cable service is in all rooms through the MUnet connection. For a full listing of residence hall cable television programming, visit http://www.units.muohio.edu/mcs/academictechnology/av/tv_channels.shtml

Vending Machines
Each hall has vending machines distributing soft drinks, candy, and other snacks. Each in-hall vending machine has the ability to purchase items via your student MuLaa accunt by swiping your ID.

Back to Menu

Residence Hall Rooms

Rooms are furnished with beds, chests of drawers, desks, chairs, study lamps, mirrors, wastebaskets, curtain rods, window shades, and a recycling bin. Furniture has been selected with student safety a the primary concern. Students are responsible for bringing their own blankets, bedspreads, linens, pillows, drapes, rugs, and towels. Students should consult with their roommate(s) to avoid duplicating some items for the room. Room dimensions and window sizes vary with each building.

University furniture will not be stored by the university and should not be removed from the room. Students will be charged a replacement fee for any furniture not in the room when the student moves out.

Room Inspection Record
When students move into a residence hall room, a Room Inspection Record must be completed and signed by each resident.   From this report, hall staff can identify problems and make needed repairs; students also avoid charges for damage done by previous occupants. Students will be charged for any damages found in the room that are not noted on the room inspection record.

Students are responsible for the condition of their room, the furniture assigned to that room, and the interior of the room door. A minimum charge of $15 will be assessed for damage resulting from the use of tape, tacks, nails, screws, or pins on walls or furniture. Refer to the back of the Room Inspection Record for a list of potential charges for damage to the room or missing furniture.

Exterior of Room Doors
Placing message boards or decorations on the exterior of room doors in university residence halls or apartments is considered a resident's privilege. As with any privilege, certain responsibilities are inherent. There is no First Amendment right of expression associated with the exterior of a residence hall or apartment door. Consequently, each resident who chooses to express his or her creativity, via his or her door, assumes the responsibility for balancing his or her personal tastes with the rights of the community. Messages, signs, posters and/or decorations must be appropriate for public viewing. Profanity, sexually explicit, harassing or discriminatory messages are prohibited.

Cleaning and Repairs
Students are responsible for cleaning their own room. Vacuum cleaners, mops, brooms, and other cleaning equipment are available in each hall. The Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services and the Department of Physical Facilities maintain the halls. To request a repair, go to MyCard and make a repair request. Only University personnel may make repairs.

We suggest decorating walls using molding hooks ("S" hooks) and twine, available at local stores. Plasti-tac may be used with the understanding that damage to the walls may result. Tape, adhesives other than plasti-tac, tacks, nails, screws, or pins may be used only on bulletin boards and not on the walls, ceiling, floors, window trim, furnishings, or doors. Room decorations may not be affixed to or suspended from the ceiling or light fixtures. Students are responsible for any damage.

Students are not permitted to paint or plaster their rooms. Storage cabinets and closet doors may not be removed or altered from their original design. Construction or room alteration involving heavy building materials, wooden or cloth material platforms, or self-constructed lofts (see below) are prohibited due to fire and safety regulations. Screens must be left latched on windows to reduce the likelihood of damage from wind or falling screens. Window ledges are not to be used for storage. Removing University property from student rooms or public areas of the hall is prohibited.

Most rooms are equipped with bunk beds. Glides for the legs and pins for bunking the beds are available from the Hall Manager. Mattresses and bedsprings may not be placed directly on the floor. Due to safety concerns, the construction or use of loft beds, waterbeds or any other alterations of university beds by students are not permitted.  Students may not turn the bedframe upside down as this may damage the frame.  Students may put their bed on cinder blocks if they wish to increase the amount of under-bed storage space.  In some cases the University may install bed lofts in rooms as it deems necessary.

Right to Room Entry (Room Inspections)
The University respects the student's desire for privacy.  However, to maintain an environment supporting the academic mission of the University, the right to make periodic health, safety, and maintenance checks of rooms is reserved.  Any materials or modifications determined to be a health or safety hazard must be removed or corrected on request.  This policy is designed to ensure a reasonable, restrained use of this contractual right by authorized University representatives without violating students' fundamental constitutional rights.  The effectiveness of this policy depends on mutual trust, cooperation, and sound judgment.  Typically, room inspections occur once per semester and/or at hall closings throughout the year.

A University official may also enter rooms during an emergency evacuation drill to confirm compliance with fire safety regulations.

Opening/Closing of Residence Halls
Opening and closing dates and times for room occupancy are specified in announcements distributed periodically by the Office of Residence Life. Students who wish to stay on campus during breaks may do so by signing up on MyCard. Break housing dates are available on MyCard.

Students are required to follow all instructions regarding hall closing and break periods. The instructions are posted on fliers throughout the residence halls and on the Office of Residence Life website (www.muohio.edu/reslife). Additional instructions will be e-mailed to residents from the HOME Office regarding vacant spaces in residence hall rooms over winter break, room changes over winter break, and preparing rooms for a roommate at the beginning of the spring semester.

Click here for a schedule of hall opening and closing.

Back to Menu

Roommate Bill of Rights
The following Roommate Bill of Rights, adapted from Kent State University, is a reminder to each resident that the enjoyment of life in a residence hall will depend, to a large extent, on the thoughtful consideration demonstrated by roommates.

Basic rights of a roommate include:

  1. The right to read and study free from undue interference in one's room. Unreasonable noise and other distractions inhibit the exercise of this right.
  2. The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests of roommate(s), etc.
  3. The right to expect that a roommate will respect one's personal belongings.
  4. The right to a clean environment.
  5. The right to free access to one's room and facilities without pressure from the roommate.
  6. The right to privacy, including the right to exclude non-residents of the room from the room.
  7. The right to address grievances.
  8. The right to be free from fear of intimidation and physical or emotional harm.
  9. The right to expect reasonable cooperation and the use of "room shared" appliances (telephone, refrigerator, etc.).
Remember: To be a mature adult is to accept responsibility for the welfare of oneself and others. It is incumbent upon all students to be familiar with the policies and regulations of Miami University and their impact within the residence halls. Ignorance of University and residence hall policies cannot be accepted as an excuse, and students are expected to read and know the information in the Code of Student Conduct, the Guide to Residence Hall Living, and The Student Handbook. If you have any questions about these policies, please contact a residence hall staff member. Students may be held accountable for actions that are either intentional or negligent. In order to be a responsible community member, students must understand the impact of their actions and not just the intent.

Roommate Conflict Resolution
Each set of rommates is expected to complete a roommate agreement at the beginning of the year and/or whenever a new rommate relationship begins. Roommate Agreement forms are distributed by RAs. The residends of each room will retain a copy of the Roommate Agreement form, as will the RA. Most roommates can work out mutually agreeable relationships with their roommates.  When roommates have conflicts, the Office of Residence Life staff can help resolve the conflict through mediation or room-change requests.  When students are unable to amicably resolve conflicts on their own, the residence life staff may assert more control over finding a resolution. The staff may require the roommates to participate in a conflict resolution meeting, or staff may make a determination without the input of the residents as to how to resolve the conflict. As stated in the housing contract, the University may relocate any student to another room to resolve a conflict.

Back to Menu

Student Conduct Regulations
This web site summarizes some rules and regulations of the University; in addition, students are responsible for reading the Code of Student Conduct in The Student Handbook, which contains information about alcohol and drugs, additional policies, and other important information about student rights and responsibilities. The Student Handbook is online at www.muohio.edu/univpubs/handbook/.  

Alcohol, Alcohol Containers and Alcohol Delivery
Alcohol consumption is illegal for persons under 21 years of age. Empty containers of alcoholic beverages (e.g., beer cans, liquor, and wine bottles) are indicators of consumption and therefore prohibited in rooms of underage students. The delivery of alcohol to any residence hall on campus is prohibited. Alcohol may not be delivered to, possessed, consumed, or served in any residence hall housing first-year students.  Each academic year, the Vice President for Student Affairs shall designate which residence halls will serve as first year residence halls. For regulations covering the consumption and possession of alcohol, refer to sections 105 and 305 of the Code of Student Conduct.

Walking is the most common form of transportation on campus but students are encouraged to use bicycles for transportation around campus and Oxford. Bicycles racks are conveniently located adjacent to every residence hall and most other buildings on campus. Students are encouraged to lock their bicycles. See the storage section of this Guide for information about storing your bicycle.

Students are expected to operate bicycles in a safe and courteous manner and comply with University regulations and state laws pertaining to bicycle operation, including safety equipment standards. Bicycles are subject to the same driving laws as motor vehicles, and citations for improper and unsafe riding may be issued. Bicycles may not be operated in the residence halls at any time. Complete bicycle regulations are contained in The Student Handbook and are also available from the Miami University Police Department.

Business Ventures
Residence hall rooms may not be used for business purposes of any nature. Unauthorized selling, collecting of money, and promotion on campus or within any University building is not permitted. Students may not act as agents for business firms that entail solicitations or the receiving of business offers or goods on University property.

All guests, as defined under visitation, must be escorted by their hosts when visiting a residence hall.

Fire Regulations
Students are expected to know the locations of fire alarms and exits in their residence hall. Prompt and complete cooperation in case of fire is important for everyone's safety. Each room is equipped with a smoke detector, but it is not attached to the main hall system. Tampering with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers is strictly prohibited. In case of a fire in a room, a fire alarm in the hallway must be pulled to activate the hall system, 911 should be called to report the fire's location.

Remaining in a residence hall during a fire alarm is a violation of the Code of Student Conduct and will be dealt with as a disciplinary matter.

False Alarms
Anyone turning in a false fire or bomb report, either by telephone or by setting off an alarm, or anyone tampering with fire extinguishers or smoke detectors is subject to suspension from the University and prosecution under the Ohio Revised Code and/or the Code of Student Conduct.

Many residence hall living rooms have functional fireplaces. They may be used only during specified hours with the permission of the Hall Manager and Resident Director. Extreme care should be exercised when using a fireplace. Residents using the fireplace are responsible for keeping the glass doors or screens closed while the fire is burning.

Flammable Materials / Candles / Incense
The burning of candles, incense, and similar materials is a fire hazard and is prohibited in residence hall rooms and on exterior window sills. Candles may be used only in connection with hall activities in the public areas of the building and may never be left unattended. The storage and use of flammable fluid is prohibited.

Appliances, Electric Supply and Room Alterations
Approved appliances for use in student rooms include:
   clocks, radios, computers, stereos, fans, televisions, lamps

Residents may use the following appliances with reasonable caution:
   blow dryers, irons, curling irons, microwave ovens (700 watts or less)

These appliances may not be used in student rooms but may be used in kitchenettes:
   coffee pots, toasters, grills, popcorn poppers, hot plates (other than hot-air), skillets, other cooking equipment

These appliances may not be used at all in residence halls:
   gas appliances, dehumidifiers, heating pads, electric blankets, candle warmers, sun lamps or indoor grills

The university reserves the right to prohibit other appliances not listed above if the item constitutes a potential risk in the residence hall. For example, an item that draws too much electricity which may trip a fuse, may be prohibited.

Tampering, altering, or rewiring electrical outlets is a fire and safety hazard and is not permitted. Overloading outlets with many appliances is also a fire hazard. Questions about overloading can be directed to the Hall Manager or the First Year Adviser/Resident Director.  Extension cords are not permitted in the residence halls. Students may use a UL-approved power strip with a built-in surge protector. Power strips may not be used in series (one connected to another).

Any arrangement of furniture or decorations that blocks or impedes exits or entrances to a residence hall room is prohibited.

Hall Sports
Students are prohibited from playing sports or rough-housing in the halls as this may disrupt the living/learning environment.  Hall sports include, but are not limited to, tossing, bouncing, or kicking a ball or frisbee, rollerblading, biking, using a scooter, or use of water guns or water balloons.

Keys and University IDs
Dishonest use of a key and/or University ID is a violation of the University Code of Student Conduct. Because the key and ID are used for admission to various University facilities and activities, the lending, borrowing, altering, or duplicating of a residence hall key or ID is strictly prohibited.

Musical Instruments/Stereo Sound
Musical instruments may be played only in designated areas. They should not be played where there is a possibility of disturbing the study or sleep of others. Abuse of this policy may result in a resident being required to store the instrument until it can be removed from campus. Persons failing to comply with the musical instrument regulation may be charged with a noise violation. Similarly, the volume of stereos or other sound systems must be low enough so sound does not carry to other student rooms or outdoors.

Noise Policy
Noise violations are often viewed subjectively by both students and staff. Based on experience, the following examples constitute clear violations of the noise policy:

  • noises, music, or voices that are clearly distinguishable in the corridor during restricted quiet hours
  • heavy percussion or bass sounds that vibrate through any walls, doors, ceilings, or floors
  • alarms or music playing in an empty room
  • pounding on doors, bouncing sports equipment or other itmes on the walls or floor of a room or cooridor
  • failure to respect courtesy hours
For the purposes of this policy, noise shall be considered too loud if it can be heard outside of a room with the door closed during quiet hours. Courtesy and common sense should prevail at all other times. Please note: All students present in a room are charged with a noise violation in that room unless one resident takes responsibility for the violation.

Other Prohibited Posessions and Activities
In addition to items and activities mentioned elsewhere in this Guide, students are prohibited from posessing the following items or engaging in the following activities:

  • Composting
  • Hot tubs
  • Spray painting

Pets can create safety and sanitation hazards and, therefore, are not permitted in the residence halls. Fish are the only acceptable pets permitted in any residence hall and may be kept in tanks no larger than 5 gallons. Fish should be removed from residence halls during winter and spring breaks.

Quiet and Courtesy Hours
Quiet hours are a specified time each day when the hall is to remain quiet.  The primary purpose of living in residence halls is to support a student's academic experience. Therefore, courtesy hours are in effect at all times. Courtesy hours indicate that all residents are expected to accommodate reasonable requests for quiet by students, residence life staff, or housing, dining, and guest services staff. Failure to comply with these requests may result in documentation of a noise violation.

Quiet hours are set by residents via the Community Agreement and Community Standards process as directed by the Residence Life Staff.  During finals week there are 24 hour quiet hours from Friday before finals until the end of finals.  Students may be asked to leave the residence halls if they are found to be in violation of quiet hours during the 24 hour quiet period.

Radio Transmission
Radio transmission is not permitted in residence halls except through authorized agencies such as WMSR (student carrier radio), and ham radio clubs.

Smoking in the Residence Halls
Miami University is a smoke-free and tobacco-free campus. Smoking or using tobacco in any area inside or outside of the residence halls is prohibited including, but not limited to, stairwells, bathrooms, lobbies, lounges, living rooms, study rooms, and hallways. Students may not smoke in their residence hall rooms. Electronic cigarettes are also prohibited in the residence halls.

The possession of weapons or those items that a casual observer might perceive to be a weapon (e.g., toy guns) is prohibited.  Persons found to be in possession of such items or weapons may be charged with a violation of the Code of Student Conduct.

Back to Menu


Visitation is defined as the opportunity for residents to have guests of the opposite sex visit them in their residence hall rooms. This opportunity can only occur with the permission of all roommates. A roommate's right to privacy takes priority over the privilege of having a visitation guest. Visitation hours are noon to midnight Monday -Thursday and from noon on Friday to midnight Sunday.

A guest is defined as any person of the opposite sex. A guest is also a person who does not attend Miami University or a Miami University student who lives off-campus, in a different residence hall or apartment. A host is a resident of the room who has a guest.

To maintain a living environment that respects the privacy and security of the residents and the hall and is conducive for academic achievement, hosts and guests are required to abide by the following:

  • All guests must have a specific host who is a resident of the room and/or residence hall that the guest is visiting.
  • Guests are subject to the same Miami University regulations as their host.
  • The host is responsible for informing the guest of these regulations prior to the guest's visit.
  • Guests are expected to behave in a way that contributes to the residence hall community, showing respect and consideration for others and property.
  • The host is responsible for inappropriate behavior of the guests he/she invites into the residence hall or his/her room.
  • Guests must be escorted at all times by their host.
  • Guests must use bathrooms designated for use by persons of their same gender.
  • Guests may not use a resident's key or ID card for any reason, including access to the residence hall or dining hall.
  • Overnight guests may not stay with a host for more than three consecutive nights
  • Hosts are permitted to have overnight guests for no more than 6 nights in any 30 day period.
  • Hosts may not have more than two overnight guests at any time.
  • Overnight guests may not occupy residence hall beds without the permission of the roommates to which the beds have been assigned.
  • Overnight guests may not sleep in lounges, living rooms, or other public area of the residence halls.

The University recognizes that, on occasion, students may need to work collaboratively on academic assignments during non-visitation hours. In most residence halls, there are 24-hour study rooms, typically found in the living room or basement. Visitation is permitted in these public areas 24 hours a day. A list of these spaces is available from the First Year Adviser or Resident Director of the residence hall.

Housing Assignments
Housing assignments are made by the Office of Housing Options Meals and Events (HOME) in 111 Shriver Center.   Continuing students may contact this office for information on housing assignments. New or transfer students should contact the Office of Admission for assistance.

On Campus Residency Requirements
All full-time first-year and second-year students are required to live on campus through the spring semester of their second academic year of enrollment. Students who (1) are over 21 years of age by the first day of class; (2) reside with their parents, legal guardians, spouses or dependent children; (3) have matriculated full-time for at least two years at another institution of higher education or a regional campus are exempt from this requirement. Students seeking an exemption to this requirement must submit an application to the Office of Student Housing & Meal Plan Services at least six to eight weeks before the beginning of the semester for which the exemption is sought. Please do not sign a housing contract if you plan to apply for an exemption. You will not be eligible to file an exemption if you have a signed contract on file for the term of which you wish to be exempt.

First Year Assignments
Housing assignments for first-year students are made based on living learning community preferences. Although new students cannot choose a particular hall to live in, reciprocal roommate requests and requests for non-smoking roommates are honored whenever possible.

Upper Class Assignments
In the fall, all current upper class residents participate in the room selection process for the following year. Current first-year students participate in a similar process during the spring semester. All room reassignment procedures are structured so students have the opportunity to select the specific hall, room, and roommate(s) of their choice. Refer to the Room Selection web page at https://www.hdg.muohio.edu/Housing/RoomSelection/ for more information.

Temporary Housing
At times there are more students desiring housing than the University can accommodate, and each semester some students withdraw shortly after the semester begins. Because of these situations, some students are placed in temporary housing until permanent assignments can be made. Those assigned to temporary spaces are notified in writing that their assignments are temporary, and they will be moved to permanent assignments as soon as possible. This policy allows the University to accommodate more students, making the best use of facilities and keeping room and meal plan rates low.

Room and Hall Changes
Room and hall changes may be made after the second week of each semester. The room change process is coordinated by students' current Resident Director.

Vacant Spaces
If there is a vacant bed in a student room, the HOME Office may assign another student to that room at any time. Current residents of that room who create a hostile environment for new or potentially new roommates may face disciplinary action.  Before winter break, students with vacant beds in their room must prepare the room for a roommate. Preparation includes moving all personal belongings to one side of the room, emptying one dresser and closet, and cleaning the room.

Back to Menu

Food Service
The goal of our Miami University food service program is to provide a variety of high quality and nutritious foods in a pleasant dining atmosphere. Our menus include a wide selection of popular foods.  There are several dining locations throughout the campus. Serving hours vary by location, with some options available from early morning until midnight each day. Being part of a residence hall community allows students to meet and interact with others while enjoying their meals in any of sevearl dining locations.  For more detailed information about our food service, please refer to the Eat at Miami website at https://www.hdg.muohio.edu/EatingAtMiami/.

Back to Menu

Residence Hall Contract
Each student living in University housing signs a residence hall contract. This contract obligates the student to pay both room and meal plan charges for first and second semesters. Students are not permitted to sublet their rooms.

Terminating the Contract
Students have one week from the date they sign their contract to cancel without penalty. After this one-week period ends, the contract is binding for the academic year. Requests for release for reasons such as medical, financial, co-op/internship, study abroad, graduation, or marriage must be submitted in writing to the HOME Office, 111 Shriver Center.  If a student withdraws from the University after the semester begins, the student will receive the unused portion of your meal plan charge and a percentage of the room fees. An official withdrawal form must be filed with the Office of the Registrar in order to terminate the housing contract. First-year students complete a withdrawal form at the Office of Residence Life in 211 Warfield Hall. Upper class students complete a withdrawal form at the academic advising office for their College or School.  If a student is removed from a residence hall because of violation of University regulations, the residence hall contract is terminated.

The University does not assume any responsibility for loss, theft, or damage to any property belonging to any student living in the residence halls. The University does not carry insurance on residents or on their personal property. Students may wish to carry their own personal property insurance to cover belongings.

Back to Menu


Break Housing

At times when the residence halls are closed during the academic year (Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break and Spring Break), students may stay on campus in their assigned building and room. Click here to view the calendar for break periods.

  • To stay on campus during a break, students should log in to MyCard at www.muohio.edu/MyCard and click on the Break Housing request form any time before the break period begins.
  • There will be a charge of $25 per day added to their Bursar bill.
  • There will be limited meal service provided during this period and the University (including the Library) will be closed much of the time. Haines Food Court will have limited hours during breaks.
  • King Library usually has some limited hours during the breaks. Check the library website for more details.
  • Residents staying on campus during the breaks who need assistance should call either the Miami University Police at 513-529-2222 or the Residence Life staff member on duty at 513-330-2005.