Living in a Social World
Psy 324: Advanced Social Psychology
World Wide Web Assignments
Go To Current Assignment
1. Due Monday, January 17th, 5 p.m. (late assignments may be downgraded 1/2 letter grade per day) Web Familiarization
2. Due Monday, January 24th by 5 p.m. (late assignments may be downgraded 1/2 letter grade per day): Research Methodology
- Spend about 45 minutes to an hour examining the web pages that are linked to Chapter 2 on Methodology , paying particular attention to the pages that deal with searching and evaluating internet and WWW information. Then complete the Web Assignment Questionnaire .
3. Due Friday, February 4, 5 p.m. The Self:
Go the Courselinks R.E.A.L Sites for Section 2 (The Self). One of the links, http://www.queendom.com/test.html is to a collection of online personality tests. Take one of the tests from three of the following groups: Personality, Intelligence, Emotional Health, Relationships, Career/Job [note--in other words, take three tests total, spread across three different groups]. As you do, think about Baumeister's chapter in the text and what factors might be influencing your answers. Assess the accuracy of the results of the test as a representation of your personality. What processes might be operating in determining your assessment? What do you think about the web site's claim that "Psychological tests cannot solve your problems, but they may help you to get to know yourself better" (emphasis added)? [Note -- no written responses are required for this assignment, but be prepared to comment on your positions during class]
4. Due Friday, February 25th, 5 p.m. (late assignments may be downgraded 1/2 letter grade per day): Attribution/Social Cognition/Interpersonal Perception/Perceived Attractiveness.
After reading Chapters 4 and 5 in the text and the related readings from Perspectives, complete and send the Web Assignment Questionnaire. As before, you should look at the questions first, to help guide you as you explore the web pages. The questionnaire will take about 45 minutes to complete. Tip: compose your answers in a word processor and save them on a floppy or your hard drive. When you have written all of your answers, go to the online questionnaire and copy & paste your answers into the appropriate boxes.
5. Due Friday, March 31, 5 p.m. (late assignments may be downgraded 1/2 letter grade per day): Attitude Change/Persuasion/Interpersonal Attraction & Relationships.
After reading Chapters 6, 7, & 8 in the text, the related readings from Perspectives, and the Web Links for these chapters, complete and send the Web Assignment Questionnaire. As before, you should look at the questions first, to help guide you as you explore the web pages. The questionnaire will take about 1 1/2 hours to complete. Tip: compose your answers in a word processor and save them on a floppy or your hard drive. When you have written all of your answers, go to the online questionnaire and copy & paste your answers into the appropriate boxes.
6. Due 7:30 a.m., Friday, May 5th. (Final exam period). Note: Late assignments may result in an "I" for the course and will be downgraded 1/2 letter grade per day.
a. Work through each of the three tutorials other than your own and for each of them fill out one of the forms distributed in class and also available online for printing blank copies. Note, you should complete a different form for each tutorial. The urls for the tutorials are http://www.muohio.edu/~psyberx , where "x" can be "a," "b," "c," or "d." Bring your forms with you to the final exam period -- they will be duplicated and distributed before the end of the period.
b. Write a 2-3 page essay (double-spaced, typed or word processed) that responds to the following question:
Imagine that it is 10 years from today. In the context of your life as you might imagine it to be at that time, (a) identify two things (ideas, theories, bodies of facts, skills you acquired) from the course this semester that you would like to be influential on the way you approach societal or personal issues and problems at that time. Be specific and focused in your choices, not global or general, and describe your choices clearly. (b) Explain each of your choices -- why are they positive and why should they be influential in your view? Why do you think they will, in fact, be things that you will remember and that will influence you?
Your essay will be graded on the clarity and rigor of your analysis.
Back to Top
Back To Psy 324 Home Page