Miami University, established by legislative act in
1809, is a body politic and corporate and is the second
oldest of the 13 state universities in Ohio. The main
campus of the University is located in Oxford, a city
of 8,000 approximately 40 miles north of Cincinnati.
Branch campuses are maintained in nearby Hamilton
and Middletown, and a European Center is operated
in Luxembourg. The University has a 2006 Fall semester
headcount enrollment of 15,726 at the Oxford campus
and a total of 4,400 at the two branch campuses.
The University endeavors to maintain high academic
standards while providing educational opportunity
to a wide range of students. The University offers
programs leading to undergraduate degrees in 109 areas
of study. The master's degree is offered in 53 areas
of study. The Ph.D., Ed.D. and Ed.S. degrees are offered
in 13 areas of study. A current list of academic programs
is available on Miami's webpage for undergraduate and graduate students.
The University is organized academically into the
College of Arts and Science and six schools: the Richard
T. Farmer School of Business; the School of Education
and Allied Professions; the School of Fine Arts; the
School of Engineering and Applied Science; the School
of Interdisciplinary Studies; and the Graduate School.
The University began instruction in 1824. The first
degrees were awarded in 1826. In 1902, a teachers
college was established; in 1928 it became the School
of Education, and in 1976 extended its program to
include the allied professions. A School of Business
Administration was added in 1927. The School of Fine
Arts, with curricula in architecture, music, painting,
printmaking and design, was created in 1929. In 1947,
graduate study was incorporated into a Graduate School.
The School of Applied Science was organized in 1959.
Branch campuses were opened in Middletown and Hamilton
in 1966 and 1968, respectively. In 1974, Western College,
a 120-year old small private institution adjoining
the Oxford campus, became a new division of the University
and was named the School of Interdisciplinary Studies
(Western College Program).
The University is accredited by the North Central
Association of Colleges and Schools as a degree-granting
institution at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral
levels, and is accredited by and holds membership
in the various professional associations most closely
identified with its instructional programs and educational