Understanding your Tax Obligation in the United States

As an international student or scholar in the United States, you are required to file U.S. tax documents for each calendar year, whether or not you earn any income in the U.S.

Why are taxes withheld from my paycheck?

By law, Americans and others residing within this country are required to have taxes withheld from their paycheck. These withholdings (amounts subtracted from your pay) are sent directly to the correct government offices in order to cover your total taxes owed for the full calendar year. Welcome to America!


Why should I file U.S. tax documents?
Every international student and scholar is required by law to file their taxes if they were in the U.S. during the previous calendar year.


When should I file U.S. tax documents?
The deadline for filing U.S. tax documents is typically April 15 for the previous calendar year. All information you will need to file your U.S. tax documents for the previous calendar year will be available starting in mid-February.


How can I file?
Miami University provides free access to a software application specifically for nonresident aliens attending or employed by the University. This software is for the filing of federal tax documents only. You will also be provided information on how to file other required tax documents (state, school district, municipal).


Which forms will I file?
Most international students and scholars are considered non-residents for tax purposes.