114 Shideler Hall
Department of Geology
Ph.D. (2001) University of Arizona
131 Culler Hall
My research interests are primarily in paleoclimate studies and surficial processes in arid environments and using the modern analog to interpret the fossil record. I employ several methods to address research questions in these areas, including mapping, 14C dating, and stable isotopic techniques (13C, 18O, 34S, 87Sr/86Sr). I am currently working in northern Chile, Jordan and North America.
Possible thesis/dissertation topics:
- Soils and geomorphology of the Atacama Desert, Chile.
- Climate change and water resources in Jordan.
Current/recent student research projects:
- Joel Hecker (M.S. in progress) Climate change and water resources in southern Jordan.
- Terry Workman (M.S. in progress) Climate and culture change in Jordan.
- Sophie Lehmann (M.S. in progress) Climate and tectonic implications of a mid-Miocene landscape: examination of the Tarapaca Pediplain, Atacama Desert, Chile.
- Craig Tully (M.S. 2010) Holocene mega-droughts in the Central Atacama Desert, Chile.
- Emily Winer (M.S. 2010) Interpretation and climatic significance of late Quaternary valley-fill deposits in Wadi Hasa, Jordan.
- Joel Prellwitz (M.S. 2007) A characterization of hyper-arid soils in the Baquedano Valley of the Atacama Desert, Northern Chile.
Pigati, J.S., Rech, J.A., and Nekola, J.C. (2010) Radiocarbon dating of small terrestrial gastropods in North American, Quaternary Geochronology, 5:519-532.
Rech, J.A., Currie, B.S., Shullenberger, E.D, Dunagan, S.P., Jordan, T.E., Blanco, N., Tomlinson, A.J., Rowe, H.D., Houston, J. (2010) Evidence for the development of the Andean rain shadow from a Neogene isotopic record in the Atacama Desert, Chile. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 292:371-382.
Placzek, C., Quade, J., Rech, J.A., Patchett, P., Jonathan, deArce, Carlos, Perez (2009) Geochemistry, chronology, and stratigraphy of Neogen tuffs of the Central Andean region. Quaternary Geochronology 4:22-36.
Quade, J., Rech, J.A., Latorre, C.H., Betancourt, J.L., Gleeson, E., Kalin, M.T. (2007) Soils at hyperarid margin: the isotopic composition of soil carbonate from the Atacama Desert.Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71:3772-3995.
Rech, J.A., Quintero, L.A., Wilke, P.J. and Winer, E.R. (2007) The Lower Paleolithic landscape of Ayoun Qedim, Jordan. Geoarchaeology: An International Journal 22(2):261-275.
Rech, J.A., Currie, B.S., Michalski G. and Cowan, A.M. (2006) Neogene Climate Change and Uplift in the Atacama Desert, Chile. Geology 34:761-764.
- National Geographic Society 2009 - 2010 (with J.S. Pigati (PI), C. Latorre and J. Betancourt)
Evidence of an extraterrestrial impact or the result of natural processes? Physical and chemical analysis of Late Pleistocene wetland deposits in the Americas.
- National Science Foundation 2008 - 2011 (with R. Allmendinger & M. Pritchard)
Collaborative research: Forearc cracks and the rupture segments of great earthquakes, N. Chile and S. Peru.
- National Science Foundation 2006 - 2009 (with J. Pigati and J. Nekola)
Collaborative Research: Radiocarbon dating North American terrestrial gastropod shells.
- National Science Foundation 2006 - 2010 (with T. Jordan and B. Currie)
Collaborative research: Miocene climate change west of the Central Andes: Cause or consequence of uplift?
GLG 335 - Ice Age Earth
GLG 435/535 - Paleoclimatology
GLG 454/554 - Geomorphology
GLG 436/536 - Paleoclimataology
Graduate seminars in soils and geomorphology
For complete descriptions of courses please click here.
Please click here to see Dr. Rech's curriculum vita.
For information on the Sedimentary Geology Research Group please click here.