114 Shideler Hall
Department of Geology
Ph.D. (1989) Univ. of California, Davis
25 Culler Hall
2002 College of Arts & Science Distinguished Educator
2003 Miami University Distinguished Research Scholar
2003 Philip E. Knox Teaching Award
2008 Benjamin Harrison Medal of Miami University
2009 Dinstinguished Career Award of the Geological Society of America
My research interests include structure and geochemistry of modern oceanic crust and ophiolites; structure and tectonics of metamorphic core complexes and supra-detachment basins; kinematics of crustal deformation and mantle dynamics along active transform faults; geochemistry and chemical geodynamics of post-collisional magmatism in the Aegean, Mediterranean, Caucasus and Himalayan-Tibetan regions; and regional structure of the Alpine-Himalayan, Caledonian, and North American Cordilleran orogenic belts. The current research involves structural, petrological, geochemical, and geochronological studies of ophiolites in California, Norway, Greenland, Albania, Greece and Turkey; structural and tectonic studies of the Menderes, Pelagonian and Rhodope metamorphic core complexes; structural, geochemical, geomorphic, and tectonic investigations of the northern Dead Sea fault zone and the Eastern California Shear Zone; and structural, biostratigraphic, and geophysical studies of intra-montane sedimentary basins in the Dinaride-Hellenide, and Tauride mountain systems in eastern Europe.
Possible thesis/dissertation topics:
- Passive margin development, rift-drift tectonics, and sedimentary basin evolution in Eastern Europe and Anatolia (involves fieldwork in Greece, Albania, and/or Turkey)..
- Structure, tectonics and geomorphology of the Northern Owens Valley and Evolution of the Great Basin-Sierra Nevada Boundary (involves fieldwork in Eastern California).
- Structure, geochemistry and tectonics of ancient oceanic crust in arc-trench rollback systems (involves field work in Albania, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Iran and/or Chile).
- Structure, geochemistry, geochronology and tectonics of orogenic vs. anorogenic Cenozoic magmatism (involves fieldwork on Aegean Islands, in western Turkey, Azerbaijan, and/or Iran).
- Structure, sedimentology, and tectonics of mélanges (involves fieldwork in Italy, Greece, Cyprus and/or Turkey).
Current/recent graduate student research:
- John Alten (M.S. 2005) Structural Analysis and brittle Deformation – Groundwater Relationships of the Rough Creek Fault Zone (RCFZ), Western Kentucky, USA.
- Constandina Ghikas (M.S. 2007) Structure and tectonics of a subophiolitic mélange (Zavordas Mélange) of the Vourinos ophiolite (Greece) and kinematics of ophiolite emplacement.
- Zeynep Oner (Ph.D., in progress) Structure and tectonics of the Alasehir supradetachment basin, Western Anatolia, Turkey.
- Charity Phillips (M.S. 2004) Structure, tectonics and hydrothermal alteration history of a suprasubduction zone ophiolite in Albania.
- Tatia Taylor (M.S. 2002) Origin and structure of the Poverty Hills, Owens Valley Fault Zone, Owens Valley, California.
Dilek, Y. and Sandvol, E., 2009, Seismic structure, crustal architecture and tectonic evolution of the Anatolian-African Plate Boundary and the Cenozoic Orogenic Belts in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: Geological Society, London, Special Publications, v. 327, p. 127-160.
Dilek, Y., Altunkaynak, S. & Oner, Z., 2009, Syn-extensional Miocene granitoids in the Menderes core complex (Western Anatolia), and their role in the late Cenozoic extensional tectonics of the Aegean province. In: Ring, U., Wernicke, B.B. (Eds.), Continental Extensional Tectonics, Geological Society of London Special Publications, vol. 321, p. 197-223, DOI: 10.1144/SP321.10.
Dilek, Y. and Furnes, H., 2009, Structure and geochemistry of Tethyan ophiolites and their petrogenesis in subduction rollback systems: Lithos, v. 113, p. 1-20, DOI:10.1016/j.lithos.2009.04.022.
Dilek, Y. and Thy, P., 2009, Island arc tholeiite to boninitic melt evolution of the Cretaceous Kizildag (Turkey) ophiolite: Model for multi-stage early arc-forearc magmatism in Tethyan subduction factories: Lithos, v. 113, p. 68-87, DOI:10.1016/j.lithos.2009.05.044.
Dilek, Y., Imamverdiyev, N., and Altunkaynak, S., 2009, Geochemistry and tectonics of Cenozoic volcanism in the Lesser Caucasus (Azerbaijan) and the peri-Arabian region: collision-induced mantle dynamics and its magmatic fingerprint: International Geology Review, p. 1-43, DOI: 10.1080/00206810903360422.
Zhao, Z., Mo, X., Dilek, Y., Niu, Y., DePaolo, D.J., Robinson, P.T., Zhu, D., Sun, C., Dong, G., Zhou, S., Luo, Z., and Hou, Z., 2009, Geochemical and Sr-Nd-Pb-O isotopic compositions of the postcollisional ultra-potassic magmatism in SW Tibet: Petrogenesis and implications for intra-continental subduction of India beneath southern Tibet: Lithos, v. 113, p. 190-212, DOI: 10.1016/j.lithos.2009.02.004.
Postdoctoral research associates mentored:
Dr. Yusuf K. Kadioglu, University of Ankara–Turkey, Fulbright Research Fellow, The Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), January – October 2002.
Dr. Nikolay Georgiev Bonev, Sofia University of St. Kliment Ohridski–Bulgaria, Fulbright Research Fellow, The Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), August 2008 – January 2009.
Dr. Andrea Festa, Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra, Università degli Studi di Torino, Torino–ITALY, May – October 2009.
Dr. Yener Eyüboglu, Gumushane University, Department of Geology, Gumushane–TURKEY,
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) Post-Doctoral Fellowship Abroad, September 2009 – July 2010.
GLG F108 - Geology & Geopolitics of the Silk Road
GLG 180.S - The Mediterranean (Honors course)
GLG 322 - Structural Geology
GLG 492/592 - Global Tectonics
GLG 499C - Tectonics & Geomorphology of Eastern California
GLG 661 - Continental Mantle Dynamics
GLG 710 - Continental Margins
To access Dr. Dilek's personal web page click here.
For complete descriptions of courses please click here.