Professor of Geography Miami University 209 Shideler Hall Oxford, Ohio 45056 Ph: 513-529-5025 Fax: 513-529-1948 Email: email@example.com
- AB 1970, University of Chicago
- MSc 1971, London School of Economics and Political Science
- PhD 1975, The Johns Hopkins University
I paint scenes of the woods, the sea, and other landscapes, mostly on wood planks, boards, scrap, and driftwood. I use acrylic paint and often incorporate seashells or cutouts of houses, boats, and cars. See my paintings at:
The Loft Shop near Deep Creek Lake, Maryland
Art Shop Coop, Oxford, Ohio
- GEO 459/559: Advanced Urban & Regional Planning
- GEO 492: Geography of the Auto Industry
- GEO 493: Urban Field Experience
- 2011 The Cultural Landscape 10th ed., Upper Saddle Lake, NJ: Pearson Education. 9th ed. 2008, 8th ed. 2005, 7th ed. update 2003, 7th ed. 2002, 6th ed. 1999, 5th ed. 1996, 4th ed. 1994, 3rd ed. 1992, 2nd ed. 1989; 1st ed. 1981.
- 2010 Contemporary Human Geography. Upper Saddle Lake, NJ: Pearson Education.
- 2008 Who Really Made Your Car? Restructuring and Geographic Change in the Auto Industry. Kalamazoo, MI: Upjohn, with Thomas Klier.
- 2001 Making and Selling Cars: Innovation and Change in the U.S. Automotive Industry. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2002 An Introduction to Geography: People, Places, and Environment. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, with William H. Renwick.
- 1992 The Changing U.S. Auto Industry: A Geographical Analysis. London: Routledge.
- 1978 The French New Towns. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
Articles and chapters in books
- 2011 “The Evolving Geography of the U.S. Motor Vehicle Industry.” In Handbook of Economic Geography and Industry Studies by Frank Giarratani, Geoff Hewings, and Philip McCann, eds. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- 2010 “After the Perfect Storm: What’s Next for the Auto Industry?” Chicago Fed Letter 277a, pp. 1-4, with Thomas Klier and Martin Lavelle.
- 2010 “The Changing Geography of North American Motor Vehicle Production,” Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 3(3).
- 2008 “Who Really Made Your Car?” Chicago Fed Letter 255a, pp. 1-4, with Thomas Klier.
- 2008 “Who Really Made Your Car?” Employment Research, Vol. 15 No. 2, April, pp. 1-3, with Thomas Klier.
- 2007 Whose Part Is It? Measuring Domestic Content of Vehicles, Chicago Fed Letter 243, pp. 1-4, with Thomas Klier.
- 2007 Motor Vehicle Manufacturing. In Richard Sisson, Christian Zacher, and Andrew Cayton, eds. The American Midwest: An Interpretive Encyclopedia. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, pp. 1219-21.
- 2006 The Supplier Industry in Transition The New Geography of Auto Production, Chicago Fed Letter 229b, pp. 1-4, with Thomas Klier.
- 2006 The U.S. Auto Supplier Industry in Transition – The New Geography of Auto Production, Chicago Fed Letter 229b, pp. 1-4, with Thomas Klier.
- 2006 The U.S. Auto Supplier Industry in Transition, Chicago Fed Letter 226, pp. 1-4, with Thomas Klier.
- 2006 Competition and Trade in the U.S. Auto Parts Sector, Chicago Fed Letter 222, pp. 1-4, with Thomas Klier.
- 2004 Motor Vehicles on the American Landscape. In S. D. Brunn, S. L. Cutter, and J. W. Harrington, eds. Geography and Technology. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 267-283.
- 2003 Transportation and Travel, In Stanley I. Kutler, ed. Dictionary of American History. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, vol. 8, pp. 185-92.
- 2003 Roads. In Stanley I. Kutler, ed. Dictionary of American History. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, vol. 7, pp. 175-80.
- 2002 Urban Geography. In Melvin Ember and Carol R. Ember, eds. Encyclopedia of Urban Cultures. Vol 1. Danbury, CT: Grolier, pp. 19-26.
- 2002 London. In Melvin Ember and Carol R. Ember, eds. Encyclopedia of Urban Cultures. Vol 3. Danbury, CT: Grolier, pp. 64-72.
- 2001 Luxembourg. In Melvin Ember and Carol R. Ember, eds. Countries and Their Cultures. New York: Macmillan, pp. 1316-1323.
- 1996 The Evolving Geography of Production–Is Manufacturing Activity Moving out of the Midwest? Evidence from the Auto Industry. In Thomas H. Klier (ed.), Assessing the Midwest Economy: Looking Back for the Future. Chicago: Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago SP-3 (pp. 1-19).
- 1994 National Content of Motor Vehicles, Geographical Review 84(2), pp. 186-200.
- 1992 Planning After the Fall of Communism in the Czech Republic, Focus 42(4), pp. 1-6, with B. L. Unger.
- 1992 What Is an American Car? Global Interdependency in the Automotive Industry, in Tom Martinson and Susan Brooker-Gross (eds.), Revisiting the Americas: Teaching and Learning the Geography of the Western Hemisphere. Indiana, PA: NCGE (pp. 65-70).
- 1992 America’s Just-in-Time Highways: I-65 and I-75, in Donald G. Janelle (ed.), Geographical Snapshots of North America. New York and London: The Guilford Press (pp. 432-435).
- 1991 The Impact of Japanese Investment in the United States, in C.M. Law (ed.), Restructuring the Global Automobile Industry. London: Routledge (pp. 114-142).
- 1991 Advocating Affordable Housing in New Hampshire: The Amicus Curiae Brief of the American Planning Association in Wayne Britton v. Town of Chester, Washington University Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law 40, pp. 3-48 (one of eight authors).
- 1990 Japanese Motor Vehicle Producers in the USA: Where and Why, Focus 40(2), pp. 7-11.
- 1988 Relocation of Families for Public Improvement Projects: Lessons from Baltimore, Journal of the American Planning Association 44(1), pp. 185-97.
- 1988 Changing Distribution of American Motor-Vehicle-Parts Suppliers, Geographical Review 78(3), pp. 288-98.
- 1988 The Changing Distribution of U.S. Automobile Assembly Plants, Focus 38(3), pp. 12-17.
- 1988 The Changing Distribution of U.S. Motor Vehicle Parts Suppliers, Focus 38(4), pp. 10-14.
- 1988 Changes in Ohio’s Motor Vehicle Parts Supplier Industry, Ohio Geographers 16, pp. 42-56.
- 1987 Leisure Participation and Satisfaction in Two European Communities, Journal of Cross-cultural Gerontology 2(1), pp. 17-36.
- 1987 Outdoor Recreation in Two European Communities, The International Journal of Aging and Human Development 25(2), pp. 131-48.
- 1986 Changing Distribution of the American Automobile Industry, Geographical Review 76(3), pp. 288-300.
- 1979 Housing the Elderly in Europe, East Lakes Geographer 14, pp. 50-59.
- 1978 The Impact of Relocation Activities on Baltimore, Journal of Housing 35(10), pp. 534-