314 Bachelor Hall
- Ph.D. University of Utah, 2000
- M.F.A. University of Iowa, 1994
- B.A. University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 1991
Research and Teaching Interests
- Creative writing
- Poetry writing
- Contemporary and modern American poetry and poetics
- Contemporary and modern British poetry and poetics
- Poetry and politics
- Nervous Device. Spotlight Series in Poetry, City Lights Books, 2012.
- My New Job. New York: Fence Books, 2009.
- Macular Hole. New York: Fence Books, 2004.
- Miss America. New York: Fence Books, 2001.
- Bornt. Miniature handmade chapbook. Schaffhausen, Switzerland: Dusie Press, 2009.
- Articulate How. Washington, DC: Big Game Books, 2008.
- Hole in the Ground. Oxford, OH: Slack Buddha Press, 2008.
- Everyone in the Room is a Representive of the World at Large. Letterpress. Fort Collins, CO: Bonfire Press, 2007.
- Imitating. London: Leafe Press, 2004.
- Exercises. New York: 811 Books, 2004.
- Hotel Faust. Sheffield/Cheltenham, England: West House Books/Gratton Street Irregulars, 2001.
- Boxes. Los Angeles: Seeing Eye Books (now Mindmade Books, 2001.
- Fraction Anthems. New York: 811 Books, 1999.
- Not for Mothers Only: Contemporary Poems on Child-Getting and Child-Rearing, anthology co-edited with Rebecca Wolff. Albany, NY: Fence Books, 2007.
- Verse Magazine, 25-page selection from Mercury Vectors, Summer 2009.
- Selection of and afterword for previously unpublished poems by Barbara Guest, Chicago Review special triple issue on Guest.
- Individual poems have appeared in Abraham Lincoln, Aufgabe, Brooklyn Rail, Cambridge Literary Review, Chicago Review, Claudius App, Colorado Review, Denver Quarterly, Fence, How2, Lana Turner, New American Writing, Puerto del Sol, Rampike, Verse and elsewhere.
Poems and essays appear in the following anthologies:
- Norton Anthology of Postmodern American Poetry, second edition, ed. Paul Hoover (Norton, 2013)
- Out of Everywhere: Linguistically Innovative Poetry by Women in North America and the UK, second edition, ed. Emily Critchley (Reality Street Editions, UK, 2013),
- The Arcadia Project, ed. Joshua Corey and G. C. Waldrep (Ahsahta Press, 2012)
- The Sonnets: Rewriting Shakespeare, ed. Sharmila Cohen and Paul Legault (Nightboat Books, 2012)
- Poets on Teaching (Iowa University Press, 2010)
- Starting Today: Poems for Obama’s First 100 Days (Iowa University Press, 2009)
- Gurlesque (Saturnalia 2009)
- State of the Union: 50 Political Poems (Wave 2008)
- A Best of Fence: The First Nine Years (Fence 2008)
- Isn’t It Romantic: 100 Love Poems by Younger American Poets (Verse 2004)
- The Best American Erotic Poems, 1800 to the Present (Scribner 2008).
Selected Web Publications
- “Recent Male Intervention,” Flying Object (March 13, 2012)
- “Regarding the Use-Value and Exchange-Value of Orgasms,” “Chicken,” The Claudius App (March 2012)
- “A Rose for George,” “Blink Whole Head in Identificatory Trance,” Brooklyn Rail (Fall 2011)
- Two poems, Lana Turner
- “Oh,” Starting Today: Poems for the First Hundred Days, Day 52 (Spring 2009)
- Mp3 sound recordings of “Coming and I did not run away,” “Well in your chasm of faith,” Textsound (Spring 2008)
- Three poems, Action Yes (Summer 2006)
- Five poems, Boston Review (December 2001/January 2002)
- “Induce,” (PDF) Shearsman No. 57 (Spring 2003
- “I’m Total I’m All I’m Absorbed in this Meatcake,” Gutcult (Spring 2003)
- “I Am a Poet and I Have,” Poetic Labor Project (July 2012)
- “Revision,” Evening Will Come (September 2011)
- Review of Harryette Mullen’s Recyclopedia, Chicago Review (Winter 2007)
- “Dim Sum” note on “Numbers Trouble” controversy on Delirous Hem (2008)
- “The Politics of Meter,” Academy of American Poets Web site (January 2005)
- “On In the Pines,” note on Alice Notley for “Constellation: Alice Notley” (Fall 2008)
- Archive of the Now
- Contemporary Women’s Experimental Poetry Festival, Cambridge 2006, archived on How2 web site
- Soundeye: The Cork International Poetry Festival, archived at Meshworks.
- “Just think about it,” Delirious Hem/Dusie Delirious Adventskalendar, December 2009 or http://delirioushem.blogspot.com/.
- “Virginia Konchan with Catherine Wagner,” The Conversant (January 2013)
- Elizabeth Coleman, “Interview with Poet Catherine Wagner,” ArtAnimal (September 26, 2012)
- Zoe Ward, “An Interview with Catherine Wagner,” Bookslut (June 2007)
- Tom Orange, “On Writing with Catherine Wagner”: reading and interview at Vanderbilt University
- Leonard Schwartz, “Cross-Cultural Poetics,” reading and interview at Evergreen State College (Fall 2005) archived at Pennsound 98 and 102.
Work in Progress
Cathy is writing a series of columns for the Los Angeles Review of Books, working on a new book of poems, and continuing A Day, a 20-year line-a-day book project.