Kinesiology & Health
Faculty & Staff
Dr. Melissa Chase
Degree: PhD - Michigan State University, 1995
M.A. - Michigan State University, 1991
B.S. - Bowling Green State University, 1983
Area: Sport Leadership and Management and Psychosocial Sport Studies
Office: 202N Phillips Hall
Fax: (513) 529-5006
My scholarly focus has been in the area of self-efficacy beliefs, motivation, and performance. I am interested in how the sources of self-efficacy beliefs and consequences of these beliefs influence either motivational intentions or performance in sport. My work in the development of self-efficacy in children and coaching efficacy in coaches has contributed to the improvement of the sport experience for athletes, coaches, and teachers.
KNH-634 Social Psychology of Sport
KNH 375 Foundations of Sport and Exercise Psychology
KNH 338 Psychological Aspects of Coaching
KNH 447 Sport Pedagogy for Coaches
Recent scholarly publications:
Book Chapters -
Chase, M. A. & Pierce, S. W. (in press). Self-Efficacy. In J. Côté and R. Lidor (Eds.). Conditions of Children’s Talent Development in Sport. Morgantown, WV. Fitness Information Technology.
Chase, M. A. & Martin, E. (2013). Coaching Efficacy. In J. Dennison, P. Potrac, and W. Gilbert, Handbook of Sports Coaching. London, England. Routledge.
Chase, M. A. (2010). Children. In S. Hanrahan and M. Andersen, Handbook of Applied Sport Psychology. London, England. Routledge. (pp. 377-387).
Refereed Journal Articles -
1. Myers, N. D., Chase, M. A., *Pierce, S. W., & *Martin, E. (2011). Coaching efficacy and exploratory structural equation modeling: A substantive-methodological synergy, Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 33, 779-806.
2. Chase, M. A., & *Machida, M. (2011). The role of sports as a social status determinant for children and adolescents: Thirty years later. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 82, 731-740.
3. Myers, N. D., Beauchamp, M. R., & Chase, M. A., (2011). Coaching competency and satisfaction with the coach: A multilevel structural equation model. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29, 411-422.
4. Myers, N. D., Feltz, D. L., & Chase, M. A. (2011). Proposed modifications to the conceptual model of coaching efficacy and additional validity evidence for the coaching efficacy scale II – high school teams. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 82, 79-88.
5. Chase, M. A. (2010). Should coaches believe in innate ability? The importance of a leadership mindset. Quest, 62, 296-307.
6. Myers, N. D., Chase, M. A., Beauchamp, M. R., & Jackson, B. (2010). Athletes’ perception of coaching competency scale II – high school teams. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 70, 477-494.
Recent outstanding Service activity:
Editor for Professional Journal -
Journal of Sport Psychology in Action (2009 – 2012) – Founding Editor of Journal.
Recent Awards/Grants for teaching, research, and/or service:
Fellow, Association for Applied Sport Psychology, 2009.
Sport Psychology Certified Consultant - Association of Applied Sport Psychology, 1997 to present.
Commendation for Influence on Students 2012, Faculty who made a positive impact on learning development – CELTUA.
Nominated for 2007 Effective Educator Award, Miami University Alumni Association.
Nominated for 2003 Outstanding Professor Award, Associated Student Government.