Graduate Student Teaching Enhancement Program (GSTEP)
The purpose of GSTEP is:
- to promote the effectiveness of graduate students as teachers at Miami University, thus enhancing their overall productivity and satisfaction
- to provide foundational skills for graduate students who may seek an academic career
- to create interdisciplinary connections and community among graduate students at MU
- to support the undergraduate teaching mission of Miami by enhancing the effectiveness of the instruction they receive from graduate students
The Graduate Student Teaching Enhancement Program is a community of practice modeled after and overlapping with the PostDoc Teaching Enhancement Program (PosTEP) also offered by CELTUA. Two levels of participation in GSTEP are available, Core and Affiliate.
Core GSTEP members will:
- attend an opening and closing event that will include content but also facilitate connections among members of the group (included in the 8 events below)
- during one semester, attend a total of 8 events offered by the GSTEP Program, CELTUA, Howe Writing Center, Advanced Learning Technologies, King Library or up to 4 at the Lilly Conference on College Teaching
- keep a reflective journal of and write a one-page reaction paper about the sessions they attend, as well as a short summary response to the program as a whole at the end
- complete a teaching project, most likely a teaching philosophy and outline of a teaching portfolio
- receive a certificate of recognition, 1 hour of course credit (GSC 601) and $200 for professional expenses (to be spent by June 1).
Affiliate GSTEP members will:
- attend a total of 4 events offered by the GSTEP Program, CELTUA, Howe Writing Center, Advanced Learning Technologies, King Library or up to 2 at the Lilly Conference on College Teaching
- keep a reflective journal of their attendance at sessions
- receive a certificate of recognition
Membership is open to all Miami graduate students.
Fall applications are now being accepted.
Jennifer Blue will facilitate GSTEP for Fall/Spring 2014-2015.
Please plan on attending one of the following first sessions:
Our first meetings will be the first week of fall semester. You can choose from either 6-7 pm Tuesday, August 26th or 12-1 pm Thursday, August 28th. Both meetings will be in Laws 320, and both will feature a free meal!
Jennifer Blue will have add slips at the sessions. Please RSVP your choice of days to email@example.com.
- Certificate in College Teaching
- GCCCU Teaching Portfolio Program (pdf)
- Creating a Teaching Portfolio: Guidelines for Teaching Assistants (pdf)
- Guidelines from the University General Counsel's office about do's and don'ts in teaching (pdf)
- Handbook of Diversity Resources at Miami and Beyond Prepared by a graduate student, Wendé Nichols (SAHE) for graduate students and others new to Miami (pdf)