Members of the Alumni Teaching Scholars at the Opening and Closing Retreat 2013
What is the Center for Teaching Excellence?
The Center is a community where:
- We support long-term and short-term communities for faculty growth and inquiry (e.g., FLCs, FLINGs, workshops/seminars);
- We support innovative teaching through projects, grants and awards (e.g., Top 25 project, grants, Knox award);
- We bring to Miami the best of the scholarship of teaching and learning (e.g., Lilly Conference on College Teaching, Journal on Excellence in College Teaching);
- We support departments and programs in their work to assess their effectiveness as educators in their discipline;
- We work with other programs to enhance and celebrate teaching and learning at Miami.
Our mission is to model and promote engagement with scholarly and reflective teaching practices to support the academic development of all faculty and students.
What are people saying?
"By treating assessment as the impetus to reevaluate our program, we have found our assessment efforts to be extremely valuable and worthwhile. Assessment has given us a tool to measure our intended outcomes against actual outcomes, focusing our discussions on program definition and improvement. Most importantly, though, assessment has given our department a foundation to make decisions about how we should use our limited resources and better serve our students and the university."
--Eric Luczaj, Computing and Information Technology, Middletown