- Administrative Forms
Employment of Out-of-State Residents
Miami University recognizes the occasional need to hire or reassign an employee or appointee who will, due to the nature of a particular position or business needs of the University, need to reside and perform their University work outside of the State of Ohio (whether in another state or another country). However, because having employees or appointees work outside of Ohio subjects the University to numerous other laws and imposes additional insurance and payroll requirements and costs (e.g., workers' compensation liability insurance, unemployment requirements, payroll tax withholding/reporting, administrative costs, and other reporting requirements to other states), the University reserves the right to determine in advance whether the University will permit an employee's or appointee's principal work location to be outside of Ohio.
In Academic Affairs, approval of a hire or the reassignment of an existing employee or appointee to reside and perform their University work out-of-state must be obtained in advance from the Director of Academic Personnel Services and the pertinent supervising senior administrators (Dean and Provost). The same is true of approval for the creation of a new position in which it is anticipated that the focus of the work must necessarily be outside of the State of Ohio.
Submit this Request for Review form 3 months prior to desired work outside of Ohio.
Electronic Personnel Action Forms (EPAF)
EPAFs for the 2016-17 Academic Year can be originated now.
Independent Contractors and Telecommuting(off campus work location)
A procedure has been implemented that will standardize review procedures and improve compliance with University policy and applicable laws in the determination of whether an independent contractor relationship or an employer-employee relationship is appropriate. In addition, when a recommended candidate's work location is off campus, including out of state, a telecommuting agreement must be submitted as part of the approval process. Detailed information on these processes can be found on the Forms page under the Administrative Forms tab.
The 24% and 30% limits to summer earnings for full-time faculty are no longer in effect. Effective summer 2011, the ceiling has been raised to 33 1/3% of the prior year’s base salary (three months of base salary) for any combination of duties (teaching, workshops, research, administrative, special assignments). The formula used to determine one’s instructional salary has not changed – 3% of base salary per credit hour (unless other departmental/campus guidelines exist). For grant-based earnings, the funding agency may have income limitations.
Miami P.R.I.D.E. (Performance Resulting In Distinguished Excellence) Award Program for classified and unclassified staff is a monetary award created to recognize and reward significant outstanding performance. Recommendations are reviewed four times a year - September, December, March, and June.
To initiate a request for a P.R.I.D.E. award, log into HireTouch at https://miamioh.hiretouch.com/admin. Instructions are provided on the HireTouch dashboard.
Additional guidelines and procedures are available on the Provost's pages.
On rare occasions and in unique circumstances, a person whose work location is off campus, including out of state, can provide special services. Because employment laws differ in each state, employees working at remote sites will continue to be covered by the University's basic insurance plans, and will be paid on the University payroll system, a special telecommuting agreement is required.
Guidelines for seeking approval to offer an early instructional fee waiver for dependents as part of negotiations with a person of extraordinary potential.
Download fillable PDF Form (PDF, 717KB) to seek permission to offer early access to a fee waiver.
Electronic Personnel Action Forms are to be used to reappoint faculty, unclassified staff, and summer teaching. Use the EPAF Manual to initiate for all categories of employment. Please see the Table of Contents for the appropriate category.
To view the complete EPAF Manual or Quick Guide, click the appropriate link below:
To view Quick Tips for creating EPAFs, click the appropriate link below:
Quick Reference Guides are available to assist you with various actions in the new HireTouch online employment system. To view a Quick Reference Guide, click the appropriate link below.
- Fill a Vacant Faculty Postion
- Quick steps for departments to fill a vacant faculty position using a current budget position number.
- Fill a Vacant Temporary Faculty Postion
- Quick steps for departments to fill a vacant temporary faculty position using a pooled budget position number.
- Reappoint to a Split Faculty/Staff Position (PDF 719KB)
- Quick steps for departments to reappoint to a split faculty/staff position.
- Faculty - Create New
- Quick steps for departments to create a new faculty position and request a search when no budget position number exists.
- OEEO Pool Review
-Quick Steps to send the list of applicants to OEEO for review of the applicant pool.
- Committee Review (PDF 451KB)
- Quick Steps for Search Committee members to review applicants and their documents.
- Using the Online Reference Feature
- Quick Steps for utilizing the online reference functionality to request letters of recommendation electronically.
- Reviewing Applicants and Initiating an Employment Recommendation
- Quick Steps for reviewing applicants and their documents, advancing them through the review steps, and initiating an employment recommendation.
- Reviewing Applicants and Initiating an Employment Recommendation for Temporary Faculty (VAPs)
- Quick Steps for reviewing applicants and their documents, advancing them through the review steps, and initiating an employment recommendation for temporary faculty (VAPs).
- Recommending for Hire from an Internal Job Posting
- Quick steps for departments to initiate an employment recommendation for an internal job posting.
- Not Hired Letters
- Quick steps for departments to send Not Hired letters to applicants who were not selected for the position.
Search committees can use this template when drafting ad text. Submission and review of the proposed ad (to Celia - Academic Personnel) will ensure a speedier trip through the request process and result in an ad that will be acceptable if the search results in a need to sponsor a foreign national for permanent resident status.