These Webpages are no longer maintained. We are keeping the pages here to preserve some of the early years of ProjectDragonfly, to honor the students who created the interactives in the early days of the Web, and because many of the activities are fun and people are still using them. For current Project Dragonfly work, go


The ProjectDragonflyteam.


The Earth

    Unless you're an alien like Marty our friendly Martian, the Earth is probably your home.  The Earth is the third planet from the sun, and the fifth largest in our solar system.  It is also perhaps the most unique planet in the solar system, because it is the only one that supports life as we know it in 2000. The Earth is also the only planet that can support water in liquid form on its surface.   In fact, 71% of our planet's surface is covered by water.  The other 29% is covered by everything from mountain ranges, rainforests, and sandy deserts.  Our planet is made up of several layers, from the crust to the upper and lower mantles, to the inner core.  The inner core, at the center of the earth, is actually hotter than the surface of the sun.  Which is pretty hot.  The Earth has a modest magnetic field as compared to the other planets.

This document has been accessed 1 times since May 30, 2002.
This document was last modified on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 11:51:34.
Please send comments and suggestions to